Header banner

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I’m married to my music–Olawale Ojo, Project Fame winner

Olawale Ojo

Olawale Ojo,  MTN Project Fame winner, 2013, a final year student of Agronomy at LAUTECH, in this chat with The Entertainer shares his experience as a Project Fame winner, his relationship status and his challenges.
What are you doing now?
I am dropping my debut album before the year runs out and another video very soon.
What is it like being in the limelight?
The moment I won project fame I told myself, ‘this is a great challenge and I need to work harder because I will be facing a larger audience.’ I am still the same person but I am working harder like I didn’t win so that I don’t rest on my oars. I want to build my brand and I want people to know me as Olawale the artiste. I know that with God, everything will fall into place.

How would you describe your style of music?
I do afro pop and R&B basically.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I am the first born of my parents. I am an indigene of Ekiti State. Right now I am a 500 level student of LAUTECH studying agronomy.

How do you intend combining music and your academics?
Right now I am in my finals; I am almost wrapping things up. Music is something that comes naturally to me. Agronomy is a very good course, maybe, some time in the future I will go back to agric because it’s a good business. But for now I am focussing on music because it is a jealous business.

Does music run in your family?
No, I will say I am the first in my family to do music.

What was your parent’s reaction when you told them you were doing music?
My dad most especially disturbed me a lot. In my 100 and 200 Level days, I was in the choir at school. My dad was like he didn’t send me to school to sing. However, they never saw me on stage until I hit project fame. I held on to my dreams despite the odds and it finally got to point where I was able to convince them that I loved singing. So when I told them I was going in for Project Fame, they just said okay.

What was your growing up like?
I was very troublesome and I gave my parents lots of trouble. I remember my dad used to beat me like every other day. I was a stubborn a child and I am from a business oriented family so I had my little business running when I was in school. It was when I got to the university that I realized that I could sing.

Who do you look up to in the music industry?
I look up to the likes of Tiwa Savage. She is a good performer and singer. I experienced that first hand when I performed with her. I respect Sound Sultan, Tuface, Davido, Iyanya, Wizkid, Chidinma and a whole lot of them out there because it takes so much to be an artiste in this country; they have all struggled and conquered.

Do you have any girlfriend now?
None, music is actually my girlfriend. There is no time for any relationship now.

No comments:

Post a Comment