Header banner

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Meet Eboka, UNIBEN first class graduate

 Kevin Eboka
Kevin Eboka, 23, is a first class Electrical/Electronic Engineering graduate of the University of Benin in the 2013/2014 academic session – finishing with a 4.64/5.00 CGPA. He shares his academic experiences in this interview with us
How does it feel being an Electrical/Electronic Engineering first class graduate?
I feel great. There is this feeling of gratification within you when you achieve your set goals. When I was admitted to study Electrical/ Electronic Engineering, my father said to me, ”My boy, study hard so you can bag a first class degree for me.” Graduating with a first class degree was one of my targets when I gained admission.
Read more
ADVERTISEMENT
Was the journey always smooth?
The journey was never smooth. In my department, the workload was heavy and we always had limited time to cover every semester’s curriculum. Honestly, it wasn’t easy but I give all glory to God that in the end, I made it.
Was it your childhood dream to become an Electrical/ Electronic Engineer or it’s just by accident?
Right from when I was in primary school, mathematics had always been my favourite subject. In fact, it was the only subject that I had an A1 in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination. I intentionally applied for the course so as to continue coming across mathematics. I chose Electrical/Electronic Engineering because I was always fascinated by electrical devices around me. I always wanted to know their mode of operation.
Electrical/ Electronic Engineering and Physics are related courses. You must have developed interest in Physics very much while in secondary school…
Yes. I loved Physics. Unfortunately, good Physics teachers are scarce. But for the passion I had for the subject, I didn’t let that hinder me from pursuing my dream.
Did you maintain a first class right from your first year in school?
No. I wasn’t in first class in my first and second years, but I was close. It was while I got to 300 Level that I was driven to make up for the last two levels.
Briefly describe the motivating factor that helped you achieve this feat
I want to say I just desired it. Once you desire something, everything falls in line to help you make it happen. I have always loved to be a first class product. It was my desire and through hard work and dedication, I have achieved it.
Describe your typical day in school?
My typical day in school was: wake up, pray, brush my teeth, take a bath, have breakfast, attend lectures, have lunch, bathe, sleep, wake up, bathe, eat, go to class to read, come back two or three hours later, pray and go to bed.
That means there was no time for parties…
There was, but not frequently.
How did you balance your social, spiritual and academic lives while in school?
As a student, time management was very important to me. While I was in school, when it was time to read, or go to church, or pray, or attend social events, or hang out with friends, I made sure I did that. I only ensured I managed my time wisely. Being a serious student doesn’t mean not partaking in social and religious activities.
What is the most precious gift you’ve received for academic excellence?
Well, I would say the support and the prayers of my parents. They encouraged me to always move forward in spite of challenges and I am glad I did not fail them and myself. So, encouragement to forge ahead was the most precious gift I ever received.
What other specific roles did your parents play?
My parents have been a constant source of motivation to me. I wouldn’t have achieved this without them. Not only have they supported me financially but also spiritually with their prayers. I would like to use this opportunity to say a big ‘thank you’ to them.
Tell us some of the challenges you experienced in the course of studying
My greatest challenge was in my second year (200 Level). On Mondays and Wednesdays, we used to have practicals from 8am to 2pm and in most cases, after the practicals, normal classes would commence from 2pm to 6pm. It was very stressful and challenging, but thank God I scaled through.
Do you have any role models in your field?
Yes. I have role models in my field of study. First is Pierre-Simon Laplace. Laplace was a French mathematician who became a professor of mathematics at the age of 20. He came up with Laplace Transform. Engineers generally use this theory to transform differential equations into algebraic equations. Electrical engineers use it for circuit analysis and to analyse the behaviour of a system. I always admire him. My second role model is Nikolas Telsa. I like him because he defeated Thomas Edison and his supporters in the war of currents by inventing the transformer.
So what inventions are you also likely to come up with in the future?
I have yet to put my thoughts together, but definitely, I will be one of the Electrical/Electronic engineers to reckon with in the future. It is a matter of time.
Did you always study in groups or solo?
My method of reading is a bit funny: I formed notes for every course I offered, then I would read them. It was always time-consuming, but it worked for me. I think every student needs to explore and discover what works for them. As Socrates said, “Man, know thyself.” I discovered studying in groups did not work for me, so I studied alone. Many times when students study in groups, it turns to a ‘rumour mongering’ group where no actual reading takes place.
Could you mention some of the distractions you avoided and sacrifices made in school?
I love watching and playing football, but when I found out they could affect my performance, I had to stop doing so, except on rare occasions. And as the world of football would plan it, there is almost no weekend that there wouldn’t be any football match to watch. I noticed that if I continued that way, I could end up not meeting my goal, so I had to quit. It was painful to miss my favourite clubs play at times, but my life was definitely much more important than them. They wouldn’t give me jobs if I failed and they don’t even know me, so why would I waste the time I should be reading to watch matches. It was a sacrifice to me.
What are your dreams and aspirations now?
I once published a research work on “Handover Performance Evaluation in GSM Network.” It was about evaluating the success of the telecom industry since inception in the country. Ever since I published that work, my dream has always been to work as an engineer in a reputable telecommunication company.
So would you just look for a job in an engineering firm right now or further your education?
Honestly speaking, I will go for either that comes first. If I get a job, I will further later. If I don’t, I’ll further my education now.
In your opinion, how easy is it for students to graduate with first class degrees?
For me, it is easy. Once a student has set his/her mind to make a first class and genuinely works towards it, bagging it becomes easy.
What advice do you have for secondary school students who want to study Electrical/Electronic Engineering but are afraid of it?
Well, it is okay to be afraid. The most important thing is for us to face our fears. My advice to those students is to face their fears. Nobody makes things happen by running away from their fears. If it is their passion, they should go for it and be committed. In the process of commitment, things would fall into shape and they will soon realise there’s nothing there, after all. I wish them success.

No comments:

Post a Comment