Header banner

Saturday, June 27, 2015

If your spouse’s parent slaps you publicly, what will you do? SEE ANSWERS ABEG


Respodents

I’ll humbly accept the slap
Oyowei Wisdom
I don’t think I will ever get such a treatment from them because I am a peaceful man. But assuming it happens, I will not do anything because it will look too demeaning for me to have replied with my own slap. That will be stupid of me. If it were my parent, for instance, that gave me such a slap, I wouldn’t have replied, so I would humbly accept theirs too. But I will make sure that I let my wife know about it later because if it happens again, that means they are calling for separation between their daughter and I. So, there is nothing to do than to leave the scene.
Read more
I’ll just rub my cheeks
Mariana Ekeocha-Agubata
I will do nothing. I will just rub my cheeks and leave the scene immediately. Meanwhile, I will go and report the scenario to my husband because if I react, my husband will not like it and the society too will not support my action. I have to respect them. My husband will be the one to fight for me if he loves me. I will not take an offence because my own parent could have done a similar thing. But to say the truth, it’s not an easy thing.
I’ll demand for an apology
Johnson Blessing
Publicly? That’s too weird. But first, if what I did warranted such a reaction, I would count it as my fault and apologise to them. But if not, I will manage to bear it till we both get to a closet where I can demand for a befitting apology just to prove to them that I am a worthy son-in-law. It is a very delicate issue and should be handled wisely, especially if I love my spouse and don’t want that incident to separate us. I believe we will both resolve the issue later.
That’ll lead to restriction between us
Favour Anyamalem
That would be too harsh, but I can’t retaliate. However, that may cause some restrictions between us. Whatever situation it is, it is too bad for an in-law to slap someone who is now part of the family. Even if they don’t love me, it should never lead to where they will hit me. For God’s sake, that could lead to crisis between my husband and I if we don’t know how to manage the issue.
I’ll forgive them and move on
Ugwu Peter
The situation will define two things about me: my maturity and the love I have for my spouse. I believe in dialogue; in other words, I will take the matter home. Second, two wrongs have never and will never produce good results. Simply put, I will endure till we reach home. It’s not good to wash our dirty linen in the public. I believe that whatever grievances they have against me or I have against them, we could resolve them. That’s the path I will choose – of forgiveness and understanding.
I’ll take the case to my husband
Toyin Olatunbosun
Although it will be very painful, I can’t reply with my own slap because if it were to be my biological parent, I wouldn’t reply them. My spouse’s parents also deserve the kind of respect I’ll give to my own parents, but on getting home, there will be war between my husband and I. It is then that I’ll cry and make all the noise I was supposed to make with my in-law. However, a wise husband, no matter what, will calm his wife down and apologise on his parent’s behalf.
I’ll assume it’s a mistake
Wale John
As an African man, more particularly as a Yoruba man, I am to respect my in-laws, irrespective of their mistakes. Though a painful and disgraceful thing to do in the public, I’ll bear it. A father-in-law could do that when drunk or under the influence of uncontrolled anger. I know Yoruba mothers-in-laws will not go to that extreme, except on rare occasions. Where the son-in-law is an aggressive type, there could be a serious crossfire, you know. We should both know our lines and not cross them to avoid unnecessary friction between us. It won’t affect my devotion of love towards my spouse and I won’t transfer the aggression to her.
Silence is the best answer
Yetunde Olaoye-Philips
That’s definitely a very painful and embarrassing situation, but there is nothing I can do no matter what. They are also my parents and I have to give them respect, even if they are wrong. My silence on the issue will go a long way in making them realise their mistake and apologise to me later. But assuming as they slap me, I retaliate or blow up, you know that’s not the solution to the problem. It could lead to a serious crisis between my husband and I. So in that kind of scenario, silence is the best answer.
That will be their first and last
Tayo Lami
If such happens, I will leave their presence immediately to prevent blowing up in anger. It’s an uncultured act to slap your child’s spouse and it’s a wrong signal. A Yoruba adage says it is better to marry a wicked wife than to have a wicked in-law. It is not advisable because of the wrong influence wicked in-laws can have on one’s partner. In a nutshell, if that happens, it will be their first and their last time to ever do such. I will make sure I avoid crossing their path in the future by setting a gap between us.
I’ll simply walk away
Funmike Oladeji-Adesanya
I will just walk away so as to avoid a confrontation between us. Staying there, I can flare up too and it can lead to a more embarrassing situation. People who see us will believe we are mad. Of course, it is madness that will make me retaliate. I will just allow the scene to pass by leaving there immediately and go home to rest. At least, by not doing anything harsh, I will be justified when the whole thing is resolved and I believe my husband will be proud of me for my maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment