Header banner

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Usain Bolt ‘Earns’ Gold for Being fast


Bolt
Usain Bolt completed his medal collection by winning the Commonwealth gold in the 4×100 metres relay last Saturday night and then announced it would be his first and last appearance at the Games.
It was not another alleged dig at Glasgow, which Bolt insisted put on a ‘great competition’ despite the weather, but an acceptance that the quickest man in history will be 31 by the time the 2018 Games on Australia’s Gold Coast come around.
“I want to be there,” he said, “but maybe not as an athlete.”
A coruscating burst of fast-twitch fibres, a victory grin as wide as the Clyde and then a regal bow from the king of sprinting – Usain Bolt has tasted far greater glories than this, his first Commonwealth Games gold medal, but the way he celebrated Jamaica’s 4x100m relay title on a soggy night in Glasgow one would never have known.
There were smiles and selfies, jigs and jitterbugs – and an acknowledgment that after six Olympic and eight world championship golds, this win was something to savour too.
“It means a lot,” said Bolt. “It was the only thing missing from my collection. I missed a couple of Games because of injuries and different problems, so I am happy to be here. Even though I was cold, the reception has been warm.”
Bolt has previously indicated he will bow out after the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but suggested last Saturday night that his swansong might come a year later on British soil at the 2017 World Championships in London.
“I’ve always said that after Rio I will retire,” said the six-time Olympic champion. “But they keep saying I should go on to 2017 so I think I might just do that. I think that will be my last championships. I’m just happy I’ve done what I wanted to do in the sport.”
At 27, Bolt is far from finished, despite seeing much of this season wiped out by the foot injury he suffered in April, but it is getting harder, even for him.
His appeal is stronger than ever — he signed hundreds of autographs and smiled for umpteen ‘selfies’ during a protracted 45-minute lap of honour wearing a tartan bonnet and scarf on Saturday — but, physically, time is starting to take its toll in terms of the effort he has to put into training.
According to Business Insider, there are three factors why Usain Bolt runs so darn faster than any other person in the track:
• Because he is taller than many of his competitors, his stride is longer than theirs. He averages 41 strides to their 44 strides.
• But, because he is taller, he weighs more and needs more force. This force comes from weightlifting.
• Third, he needs to precisely control his movements to have his legs and feet move in harmony and avoid any missteps. This relies on the connection between his brain and his leg muscles.

Bolt is a highly-paid athlete
Usain Bolt is one of the world’s highest paid athletes because he has certain athletic qualities that make him very unique at what he does, which is what sets him apart from the rest of runners around the globe.
Thanks to his incredible ability and speed, apart from his latest 2014 Commonwealth gold win, he’s been able to win every major competition in the world, including three gold medals in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, three gold medals in the 2009 World Championships, two gold medals in the 2011 World Championships, three gold medals in the 2012 Summer Olympics and three gold medals in the 2013 World Championships.
Yes, he’s the best, no doubt about that, that’s why everyone wants to endorse him. He earned more than $24m (N4bn) from endorsements alone last year, according to Forbes Magazine.
Bolt’s fortune comes from endorsements of brands and companies such as Puma, Hublot, Samsung, Comcast, Nissan, Gatorade, Visa, Virgina Media and many others.
Bolt has set goals for himself in the future, he expects to win three more gold medals in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil (Rio 2016), he’ll probably be able to do it one more time, therefore, and he will definitely make a lot more money throughout the following years.
• As of 2013, Bolt was reportedly worth $30m (N4.8bn), and some people say that he’ll probably be worth more than $100m (N16bn) by 2016.
• Puma pays him $9m (N1.5bn) every year because he wears their brand clothing and shoes in his official competitions.
• His appearance fee starts from $200K (N32m) and reaches up to $350K (N56m) for a big event.
• He owns a luxury home in his native place Jamaica and a mansion in Bahamas.
• He drives fast cars, including a Ferrari F430 Spider which costs $217,000 (N35m), a BMW M3, and a 2013 Nissan GTR which costs $96,820 (N16m).

Bolt lives a glamorous lifestyle
In an interview with The Standard, a London magazine, Bolt opened up on his lifestyle:
Home is…
Where do you stay in London?
In Teddington, Middlesex, near my agent.
What was the last football event you saw in London?
England vs Croatia at Wembley stadium in 2009.
What advice would you give a tourist coming to London?
Always carry an umbrella as you never know when it is going to rain.
Where did you last go on holiday?
My job takes me all around the world for six months of the year, so for holidays I like to go home to Jamaica. I can’t imagine living anywhere else.
Which five London retailers do you rely on?
The Puma store on Carnaby Street for clothes and trainers; Gucci on Old Bond Street; any McDonald’s for chicken nuggets; all the Chinese restaurants; Game for video games for my PlayStation.
What’s your earliest London memory?
I first came here in 2004 and noticed there are a lot of Jamaicans living here.
What’s the best meal you’ve ever had in London?
I normally bring a chef to cook for me; you can’t beat Jamaican food.
How do you relax?
When I’ve got nothing else on, I sleep.
What would be on your tombstone?
World’s fastest man.
What are you most afraid of?
Flying in small aeroplanes.
What are your guilty pleasures?
KFC, and in the off-season I will have a bottle or two of Guinness.
What would you do if you were Mayor of London for the day?
I’d have a big party where everyone must have fun and enjoy themselves.
What would you save from a fire?
My passport – otherwise I couldn’t travel to competitions, and my PlayStation.
Which is your favourite London street for shopping?
I like Westfield shopping centre.
Who’s your hero?
I admire other sportsmen like Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo in football and the Boston Celtics’ Kevin Garnett in basketball.
What’s your life philosophy?
Enjoy life and have fun.
What do you most like wearing?
My Hublot watch because it costs the most.
What’s the best place for a romantic date in London?
My apartment.
What are your favourite London discoveries?
Sunny days.
What are your ambitions?
To make as much money out of athletics as possible before I retire.

Sources: theguardian.com, dailymail.co.uk, cnetworth.com, tsmplug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment